Call for Interest in PhD, Post-Doc and Visiting Positions on Continual Learning
Join one of the largest AI & Continual Learning Italian research groups!
We are looking for expressions of interest from motivated prospective PhD students and Post-Docs to join our Pervasive AI Lab at the University of Pisa & CNR, working on Continual Learning with Deep Architectures and related topics. The lab is one of the larger Italian groups working on AI and Machine Learning, counting more than 40+ people among Professors, Researchers, Post-Docs and PhDs. While the candidates will be free to choose how to better pursue their own research agenda based on their own personal interests, the lab currently favors projects on:
- Unsupervised/ Self-Supervised/Weekly/Semi-Supervised Continual Learning
- Continual Sequence Learning
- Neuroscience-Inspired Continual Learning
- Continual Reinforcement Learning
- Continual Learning R&D Frameworks & Tools
- Continual Robot Learning
- Continual learning on the Edge
- Real-World Continual Learning Applications
- …and much more!
The candidate will have the opportunity to work alongside top continual learning players around the world through the ContinualAI research organization, spending periods abroad and working in synergy with other realities such as the Sant’Anna Biorobotics Institute, CNR, University of Bologna and many others.
Please be aware that perspective students will have to qualify for the position according with the existing National rules for PhD/Postdoc recruitment.
These positions will be available in Pisa, Italy. However, short-medium remote working periods will be allowed with maximum flexibility. The quality of life in Pisa is exceptionally high: great food & wine, a large number of cultural, social and sporting activities 20 minutes away from the mountains or the sea. The candidate will also get the chance to learn Italian, make a lot of friends and join an inclusive and fun Lab with a great life-work balance culture.
Qualifications and Requirements (For PhD Positions)
1. Master’s degree, or equivalent, in a discipline related to computer science, computer engineering, statistics, information processing, computational neuroscience, and/or machine learning.
2. Background and/or strong interest in developing Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning algorithms and a bold original vision for the future research ahead.
3. Strong Knowledge in Python programming. Preferably also in other languages like C++. Working knowledge in Linux OS and programming tools.
4. Familiarity in deep learning frameworks and libraries is preferred (Tensorflow, Pytorch, Keras, or similar) and data analysis libraries Pandas, numpy, matplotlib, scikit-learn, seaborn, etc).
5. Willingness to learn and write robust code using new frameworks or programming languages based on the project requirements.
6. The successful candidate will be expected to design and perform independent research and publish papers in refereed top conferences and journals.
7. Candidates should keep abreast of the latest developments in the field and develop strong research aptitude.
8. Good written and verbal communication skills are essential.
9. A collaborative spirit and the ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team are essential.
Qualifications and Requirements (For Post-Docs Positions)
All the Qualifications and Requirements for the PhD plus:
1. PhD’s degree, or equivalent, in a discipline related to computer science, computer engineering, statistics, information processing, computational neuroscience, and/or machine learning.
2. Any interesting Continual Learning result (papers, experiments, something exceptional you did) or on related areas and/or a strong research interest/vision for future research in this area.
Visiting Scholars (only PhD & Post-Docs)
Are you already a PhD student or a Post-Doc willing to visit us at Unipi and work on Continual Learning? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us sending an email to Vincenzo Lomonaco (email@example.com)
How to Apply to the Call for Interest (PhD)
Applications should be submitted as a single PDF file:
1. Cover letter describing your motivation for applying to this position and the research you would like to pursue (1 page)
2. CV and unofficial academic transcripts (with grades if applicable) with eventual publications / related projects.
Applications can be submitted via email to Vincenzo Lomonaco (firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to Apply to the Call for Interest (Post-Doc & Visiting Scholars)
Just send an email to Vincenzo Lomonaco (email@example.com) with a brief introduction and the research statement (your results + idea for the future).
We are always looking for exceptional people. Contact us to get more information about current opportunities (firstname.lastname@example.org).